CinemaNow is a leading over-the-top (OTT) provider of on-demand streaming media available to viewers
in North America and Europe. The company was founded in 1999 and is headquartered in Los Angeles,
California. As a video-on-demand (VOD) and electronic-sell-through (EST) platform, CinemaNow allows
consumers to purchase, rent and view film and TV content from a world class content library available
on over 105,000,000 enabled devices from 350 different device models including Roku, Chromecast,
PlayStation, Xbox, Smart TV's, Apple iOS, Android, Samsung and others.
The CinemaNow library contains approximately 55,000 feature-length films, shorts, music concerts, and
television programs from major licensors including 20th Century Fox, HBO, Lionsgate Entertainment, MGM,
Universal Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Relativity Media, Showtime Networks, Sony Pictures, Starz,
Warner Bros., and The Walt Disney Company ("Disney"). CinemaNow provides unparalleled access to premium
content, and is updated weekly with an average of 150 new titles, including next-day TV and access to
early film releases before the content becomes available on DVD or subscription services like Netflix.
CinemaNow has launched storefronts and provided digital video services for major blue chip customers
including Best Buy (CinemaNow), Target (Ticket), Blackberry (Video Store), Toys R Us (Movies), Warner
Brothers (Flixster), Dixons (KnowHow Movies), Sainsbury's (Entertainment on Demand), Hewlett Packard
(Movie Store), Cineplex (Entertainment Store), Dell (VideoStage) and many others. CinemaNow continues
to be an innovator in the OTT market including recent launches of applications on Roku, Chromecast,
Xbox One, Google Nexus Player and Apple Watch.
Visit our Company Timeline to see some of our innovation milestones as we build upon our history of
success in the digital video marketplace.
A brief history of the company that pioneered the digital distribution of movies and TV shows.
- CinemaNow was founded as one of the first on-demand internet streaming media platforms.
- CinemaNow partners with Microsoft to launch CinemaNow streaming service using Windows Media Player
- CinemaNow launches international network to make service available around the world
- CinemaNow offers 720p high-definition content through partnership with Windows Media High Definition Video
- CinemaNow launches "Burn to DVD" functionality allowing consumers to convert digital downloads to physical discs
- CinemaNow expands content to include music videos through deal with Sony BMG Music, EMI and Sanctuary Group
- CinemaNow allows remote download and purchases of content direct from mobile devices
- CinemaNow and Blockbuster announce a strategic alliance to provide digital content delivery under the Blockbuster Brand
- Best Buy acquires CinemaNow brand and successfully launches an OTT storefront
- CinemaNow provides Entertainment Store for Cineplex
- CinemaNow offers 1080p HD streaming for premium content
- CinemaNow and Hewlett Packard partner to provide MovieStore
- CinemaNow and Dell agree to launch Dell VideoStage
- CinemaNow reaches agreement to power Warner Brothers' video storefront Flixster
- CinemaNow teams with UltraViolet and launches Disc to Digital program to allow DVD owners to convert their movie collections to digital format
- CinemaNow partners with ResearchInMotion to launch BlackBerry Video Store
- CinemaNow enters agreement with Toys R Us to power ToysrusMovies.com
- Rovi Entertainment Store acquired by Regent Equity Partners in September 2013
- CinemaNow successfully launches the Target Ticket digital OTT storefront with 35,000 titles available for purchase and rental
- CinemaNow launches Sainsbury's Entertainment on Demand
- Best Buy divests CinemaNow to Regent Equity Partners; CinemaNow successfully re-launches UI/UX for all devices
- CinemaNow launches on Roku, Chromecast, and Xbox One
- Dixon's KnowHow (UK OTT storefront) successfully relaunched as CinemaNow UK
- CinemaNow launches Google Nexus Player app
- CinemaNow launches Apple Watch app; feature turns Watch into simple Remote Control interface